V's Skirt, Part 1

Last Thursday I went over to a friend's house to help pack for an SCA event over the weekend (in the midst of a torrential downpour. Time for me to invest in a houseboat, I'm pretty sure. We've gotten something like ten inches of rain over the past week). While the rain was enthusiastically creating a stream where there had been a street, I laid out and cut the pieces for V's renfest skirt.

I planned a one-and-a-half circle skirt; I like the extra swooshiness without being too bulky around the legs, especially with this mid-weight linen. Also deeply proud of thinking, hey, I could cut one full circle and the extra half, and just inset the half circle like a very large gore. Only two long seams, a hem, and a wasitband to sew. I win.

A half-circle of turquoise fabric with a pink tap measure draped around the outer edge, laid flat on a carpet with a tan banana and ferm leaf design.

We don't need no stinkin' circumference math! Lazily estimating the hem by tracing it with my tape measure. (The radius is about 29 inches, to fit the full half-circle across the width of my 58" fabric...so the hem is about 270 inches. Wow. I don't think I wanted to know that.)

The lime green under the turquoise was going to be a stripe or ruffle at the bottom, but V said she liked the plain turquoise better, so I really didn't need to know the hem length after all. And I have a yard of brilliant lime linen to do something with.

A half-circle of turquoise fabric on a rectangle of lime green, on a carpet with a tan banana and fern leaf design.


Comments