Wednesday Project Review

Lo! It is Wednesday! And I get to cross something off The List. And add another thing because that's my life.

• Fingerless mitts for H
• V's RenFest outfit: blouse, skirt, sash, and decoration
• My RenFest outfit: blouse and sash, and decoration
• 12th-century suit for K: bliaut, shirt, braies, and hose (and garters!)
• Late Turkish ensemble for Liz in Texas: shirt, pants, coat, veil, and hat
• Blue linen work dress
• Yellow wool bliaut
• Blue and red silk bliaut
• Ostentatious green and peach silk bliaut
• Four or five modern dresses/skirts/blouses
• Researching and practicing tablet weaving
• 12th century shoes
A screaming orange, red-trimmed bliaut, draped on a red couch.
It's done! Or at least, it's wearable. Technically I still need to overdye it (that photo, at last, is pretty true in color, and in person it's eye-searing. Which was kind of the point, but the neon hunter's orange? Not exactly my intent) and add some kind of decoration to the red trim. A bliaut with this cut really really shouldn't have plain trim. Block printing has been suggested, rather than extremely time-consuming embroidery. I am tempted.

A close-up of a small round mirror attached to turquoise fabric with loose white shisha embroidery. Three small round mirrors attached to the hem of a turquoise skirt with loose white shisha embroidery.
As a break from stictly historical clothing, I'm adding shisha embroidery to the hem of V's RenFest skirt, which is about two-thirds done. So I get to cross out two-thirds of the word on The List. That's how it works. It only takes me seven minutes or so per mirror, and there are...57 mirrors...which means there's about 400 minutes of work total. That's not very much. It's like...seven hours. (Oh hey, I could have done that math much more easily by just noting that the number of mirrors is approximately the number of minutes in an hour, and then I just need as many hours as there are minutes per mirror, and...yes. I did enjoy calculus. How could you tell?)

Truly though, I am really enjoying stitching little mirrors, and it doesn't hurt that I adore the color we chose for her skirt.

And the added project is a pair of short fingerless mitts for H, who recently started working in an office and has noticed that her hands are freezing all the time. She wanted red or blue, and I went stash-diving and came up with a skein of garnet-red mink yarn (Lotus Trendsetter produces it) that will be perfect. Making up the pattern as I go; so far it's 52 stitches cast on and a few rows of k2p2 rib. Still not sure if I want to pattern the backs of the hands or not, but it'll be a while before I get there, anyway.

Goals for the next week: finish the shisha work, and finish the mitts. Probably cut pieces for K's shirt, too.

Comments