Two Seams to Go!

Using "seams" in one of the looser senses of the word, but hey, whatever.

Over the last few days I've cut and attached the last bit of trim and inserted underarm gussets in K's bliaut (and why I keep neglecting to just plan for gussets in the first place I cannot tell you, because they're always necessary and yet I keep not doing them anyway).

A black and white tuxedo cat sprawled over a mass of bright-orange and screaming red fabric, with a pinned panel nearest the photographer.
Helpful Cat being Helpful.
This is the reason nothing gets done around here. Also, if you look carefully you can see that there is indeed a gusset pinned in there. This involved cutting little kite-shaped bits of fabric, ripping portions of the side and sleeve seams out, setting the gusset in, restitching the seams and anchoring all the newly-orphaned pieces of thread (why oh why is everything I make French seamed?! It's because it's all super fray-prone linen but still. Restitching French seams that are only partially ripped is not really on my list of favorite things to do). But! Now K will be able to move his arms, since a well-fitted garment made only of rectangular pieces tends to bind a rounded human rather uncomfortably.

A strip of red fabric pinned to bright-orange fabric, showing a tiny gap where the red strip doesn't quite meet.
Then I patterned and pinned the trim on the hem; it started as four pieces seamed into a long strip so I could pin it on to make sure it'd fit right. As you can see in the picture above...it didn't. By half a freaking inch. I looked at it and sighed a bit, because I really thought I'd added enough to allow for seams and then some, and decided to go ahead and start stitching, to see if I could stretch the trim just enough to allow for that last seam.

The trick was to stretch only the tiniest bit at a time, to keep from having the trim spring back once I wasn't holding it in place and making the hem pucker.

A seam in screaming red fabric, set over a piece of seamed orange fabric.
And I managed to eke out another three-quarters of an inch! Just about the perfect amount to sew another very very tiny French seam, and make a perfectly fitted band of trim around the hem.

A curved strip of screaming red fabric seamed to orange fabric, with the top edge of the red strip partially turned and stitched, and a needle inserted into the red fabric ready to continue.
 Last night I finished whipstitching the top edge of the trim down over the raw edge of the body fabric, so all I have left on the Radioactive Neon Bliaut is the actual, real hemming, and finishing the raw edge at the neck. I think I'll be able to do that by Wednesday, and I'll get to mark off another item on The List. Very exciting. If I'm really clever, I'll get the pieces cut for the undershirt, too, which will be a much faster item—lighter weight linen, simpler construction, and I'm going to cut the gussets along with the other @#*^&#! pieces so I can avoid the part where I think I'm done and have him try it on and realize I've made a straitjacket.

Comments