Wednesday Project Review

• V's RenFest outfit: blouse, skirt, sash, and decoration
• My RenFest outfit: blouse and sash, and decoration
• 12th-century suit for K: bliaut, shirt, braies, and hose (and garters!)
• Fighting outfit: trousers, shirt, and caftan
• Late Turkish ensemble for Liz in Texas: shirt, pants, coat, veil, and hat
• Blue linen work dress
• Yellow wool bliaut
• Blue and red silk bliaut
• Ostentatious green and peach silk bliaut
• Four or five modern dresses/skirts/blouses
• Researching and practicing tablet weaving
• 12th century shoes

Started and finished the trousers over three days, including measuring and cutting them on my knees at the event last Saturday. One leg is about two inches shorter than the other (that's what happens when you just fold and finger-crease your fabric rather than laying it out and ironing it properly) but since they're loose and baggy anyway, you really can't tell when they're on, so I'm leaving it just the way it is. Besides, as they are now, I have selvedges at the cuffs, and I am capable of being an incredibly lazy seamstress.

I do need to do some research into shirt and caftan patterns; I'm hoping I can squeeze a full shirt out of the leftover linen from K's shirt. And I'm tempted to stamp the fabric for the caftan, but I may go with the plain fabric since it's really never going to be visible.

And somewhat perversely, I really want to hem a sash for V so I can cross that completely off my list. And then I could give the whole outfit to her and get it out of my shrinking closet.

Unrelated to any of the above, I'm learning to weave! And it's amazing and I love it desperately already. Last night I learned how to thread the loom (I'm going to go completely crosseyed trying to thread for the eventual Donkeyskin dresses. This was bad enough at 24 ends per inch...) and wind the warp on and started weaving. Drafts are still mostly a mystery to me, but I figured out one simple draft on my own and I understand at least how the names of twills work and what they tell you.

Must take pictures of embryonic weaving project soon...


Comments