Coronation and Weaving

I wove so much this weekend, between eight hours in a car and a few at Coronation, and then spending all of Sunday watching pretty historical(ish) movies and...erm...weaving. More.

I had some brown and green cotton yarn with no planned project, and picked up a copy of the Inkle Weaver's Pattern Directory from the library on a bit of a whim (Dad helped unwobble my inkle loom, so I wanted to try something a bit more complicated now that I'm not fighting the loom every step), so decided to try a simple pick-up pattern with doubled pattern threads. Nice, one-manipulation-per-row, simple pattern. I finished the five-yard warp in less than 24 hours. Oops.

A wooden inkle loom with a brown and green warp and an undulating green stripe in progress, resting partly on the photographer's green-skirted and rose-and-gold-belted lap.
Here it is, traveling at 75 mph through Missouri on the way to Coronation. I wove for about two hours on the way there, and maybe four hours while we were there, and finished an hour into the return trip.

A close-up of an orange pick-up weave pattern of eight-petaled flowers interspersed with dotted diamonds. The flowers and diamonds are in orange, with a bright magenta-purple background.
So Sunday I warped this up! It's much slower. I think I'd finally memorized the pattern after a yard of weaving, which took many many movies to do. (Of course, I was also cooking and sometimes watching the movies and playing on the internet when my back needed a break from leaning forward, but still. Vastly slower.)

Also a five-yard warp...I'm not sure if I want to do the whole thing in this pattern or try something different after a while. This might end up being a new waistband for my RenFest skirt, to finally replace the makeshift drawstring from years and years ago.

A black-and-white tuxedo cat lounging in a tipped-over inkle loom on a teal-sheeted bed.
The Helpful Cat(tm), being Helpful.

Comments