Damask!

Last night I learned how to do damask and inlay weaving!

A bright color gamp, with warp running in panels from left to right of white, yellow, orange, red, and purple. A dark purple weft in a variety of twill patterns shows a rough outline of a dragon flying over a triangular mountain, and above that, bright turquoise and green blocks are isolated in the middle of the warp.
And obviously I made Smaug over the Lonely Mountain in damask. (He's very small and low-res. This is what happens when you try to weave delicate images in damask using 1:3 and 3:1 twills.) It's so deceptively simple...just adjacent blocks of opposing weave structure, and yet...you can do such wonderful things with it. I'm already in love. Which is good, considering the donkeyskin dresses I want to weave eventually.

Inlay I'm not as enamored of, but it's interesting structurally. You have a base of plain weave worked with a fine weft, and on top of that work a thicker secondary weft (or...more) that packs down tightly and covers the base fabric. Fascinating, but not what I want to do (unless I use it for brocaded accents in the donkeyskin fabrics...hmmmmm).

Comments