April 2018 Projects

A red-headed woman seen from behind, from the waist up, almos completely enveloped in a folded pink-purple shawl. Her hair is twisted into a rough knot at the base of her neck, and she's looking down and to her right. A foam pickaxe with "Remember Tunnel 17!" printed on it is wedged above the frame of the open doorway in front of the woman, and colorful hanks of yarn are hanging in several rows on the wall next to the doorway.
Featuring some swag from the Digger omnibus Kickstarter several years ago.
Look, you know and I know that while it's very satisfying to mark things off lists, I'm not very good at it. I'm good at lots of other things. But not list-crossing.

The March List

• K's Christmas present
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Prep and write one signature of The Riddle-Master of Hed
      - Complete practice pages in sketchbook
      - Cut sheets for two signatures
      - Prep with gum sandarac and penciled layout
      - Write black ink
      - Rubricate (and verdicate, and lazulicate, and orocate...)
      - Paint foliated initial
      - Gild
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Wax plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Make red wool winter skirt
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag

Uh. Yeah. I did...other things?

Quite a few of them, actually; I started attending a few local knit and spin nights, which led to the finished (and monstrous) shawl up top, as well as a bit of progress on my current spindle project. I read a bunch of books, made some food, ironed, like, a lot of yellow fabric and punched a few hundred paper templates for the honeycomb quilt. I'm going to need more, numbered in the thousands...or, instead of hoping to lay out the entire quilt before I start constructing it, I could probably get away with just these for now. I kinda like the idea of laying the whole thing out, though.

The April List

• K's Christmas present
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Prep four fat quarters' worth of hexagons for the honeycomb quilt
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Wax plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Make red wool winter skirt
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag

Also in April, though not on the list, is more progress on my two spinning projects, a bit more packing of things I'm definitely not going to touch before I move this year, and a double weave class at the local yarn shop, which I'm very much looking forward to. Not least because it's supposed to snow this weekend. It. Is. April.

I protest.

Furthermore, I'm putting the Riddle-Master on hold. I'm looking forward to that project with all kinds of fizzy anticipation, but I also want it to be done as well as I can possibly do it, and "with an impending move to a tiny living space" is not conducive to careful work. 

Comments