January 2018 Projects

2018. I know. I wasn't exactly ready, either.

 The December List

• Dye green linen for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat and salwar)
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Stamp orange silk for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat)
• Resist stamp and dye blue silk for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• K's green and yellow striped silk salwar
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Construct K's Persian garb
• Prep and write two signatures of The Riddle-Master of Hed
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• K's Christmas present
• C's Christmas present
• Finish the rosy socks from the Basket of Shame
• Complete the Regencyish dress

Um. That's embarrassing. And actually a little alarming—at least one of those things is now well behind schedule, and I was trying to be organized and ahead of myself.

I did spend three days straight in the kitchen at home, baking and cooking and prepping and washing dishes. Soooooo many dishes. We made glorious pastries and cookies, though, and a delicious roast with Yorkshire puddings to die for, and bread and spaghettiandmeatballs (that's one word, if you were wondering). Generally a very successful holiday spread.

My siblings and I also wrangled the new puppy and the older puppy and the geriatric foxhound, which was a trick and a half, and played games and watched movies and stood around in the kitchen being underfoot (or, more often, drying the neverending dishes).

And then, I zipped up to Nebraska for Friendmas, which involved even more cookies and catching up, and a lot of sub-zero temperatures, which prompted my lungs to attempt to disconnect themselves from the bronchi. If 'cold like a knife to the chest' is a metaphor for you, you haven't met the right kind of cold yet.

I did finish the only skein of yarn I spun in 2017—several hundred to a thousand yards of laceweight (it's hanging in my shower right now to dry, so I haven't measured final yardage yet), all spindle-spun and -plied.

The January List

• K's Christmas present
• Dye green linen for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat and salwar)
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Prep and write two signatures of The Riddle-Master of Hed
      - Complete practice pages in sketchbook
      - Cut sheets for two signatures
      - Prep with gum sandarac and penciled layout
      - Write black ink
      - Rubricate (and verdicate, and lazulicate, and orocate...)
      - Paint foliated initial
      - Gild
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Wax plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Remake the yellow cote
• Complete the Regencyish dress
• Plan sewing class for Clothier's
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag

Still ambitious, but I'm cutting down the list of things to do for K's new garb. Maybe that'll help the whole project to feel less overwhelming. Likewise, maybe by listing out each step for finishing the first section of The Riddle-Master, it'll feel more manageable. One bit at a time.

And I'm teaching a class on handsewing at Clothier's Seminar, which I'm totally not freaking out about. It's only an event that draws fibery-textiley-costumey people from all over the kingdom. I'm only pretending I know something worthwhile to share with them. It's fine.

A black-and-white hand-drawn illustration of a doubled clothesline in tall grass, with a wicker basket full of crumpled clothes at lower right.
#adorable
Also, I'm starting a little journal to keep a miniature visual record of what I make and read and grow this year. The blog is a little hard to carry around with me everywhere, so instead, I'll draw garments hanging on the line as I make them. There's also a bookshelf to be filled, and somehow I need to design a garden for planting and harvesting records.

Comments