Test Embroidery

A small sampler of gold embroidery on olive-green silk in a wooden embroidery hoop, showing various chain stitch pairs of lines filled with zigzags and squares, and a small scrolling vine bearing oak leaves and daisy-like flowers.
Lovely reeled silk for the embroidery. Cotton's going to feel positively plebeian after this.
I’ve finally started test embroidery for my next big dress project—a truly ostentatious bliaut with miles of embroidered trim. The finer embroidery running vertically in the photo above is for collar and sleeve trim, where people will be able to inspect my stitches and design more closely, and the heavier embroidery running horizontally is for skirt trim, likely to spend most of its life five feet away from people’s eyes.

A right-angle formed of two gold chain stitch lines on olivey-brown silk in a wooden embroidery hoop. The right line is half the thickness of the left, and a penny is sitting in the corner they form.
Penny for scale.
Also, that’s a scrap of the dress fabric (I cut an upper sleeve wrong enough to redo it, so have this square of extra silk too small to repurpose for the dress), demonstrating its chameleonic powers. In most artificial light it’s brown like the second photo, and in sunlight (and apparently the break room fluorescents) is green like the first. I love silk.

Shiny brown silk fabric with chalked lines marking out wide lengthwise panels separated by narrow channels. Some of the lines have turquoise basting stitches overlaid.
Very medieval turquoise marking threads.
I've also started marking the panels of trim on the silk that's meant for the real thing. I thought about just chalking the edges, but realized very quickly that chalk just doesn't stick to flat-woven silk, so instead I'm using a long running stitch to go over the chalk lines for a permanent boundary, with seam allowances measured in the spaces between trim panels. I've also hemmed the raw edges of this piece, since it'll be carried around and folded and unfolded countless times as I embroider the trim, and I don't need the dimensions changing on me as the edge frays back from where it was.

Comments