Little Leather Plates

Eight headstone-shaped cardstock pieces arranged on a squashed hexagon of black leather, on top of a pale fabric-covered piece of cardboard. The pieces are in three rows parallel to the upper left edge of the hexagon, with one turned 90 degrees at the right end of the lowest row.
The cute little divots in the pattern pieces are not going to be part of the final product.
Finally, finally working on body armour for myself. I've been fighting for just about two years, and I'm still mainly using loaned gear. I’m doing leather lamellar, and I’ll be waxing the plates before lacing them to give them a little more strength, since the leather is emphatically on the thin side for armour. I'm also on the lookout for a bit more leather, since I'm going to be just short of the amount I need for a sleeveless coat that falls about mid-thigh, and I'm not willing to give up that extra bit of protection.

I bought an entire side of cow years ago, with vague thoughts of making myself some boots and one of those Moroccan poufs (ha. Oh, naive past-me, you would not have liked that project), but so far neither project has gone anywhere. So the pouf is no more, as I've cannibalized the pieces for little armour plates. Hundreds of them.

Eight headstone-shaped cardstock pieces arranged on a squashed hexagon of black leather, on top of a pale fabric-covered piece of cardboard. The pieces are arranged with four upright along the bottom edges of the hexagon, with the other four in a rough diamond at the top.
This photo still stresses me out a bit.
And a record of the first arrangement of plates, which was incredibly inefficient and would have left me with totally unusable scraps, rather than the potentially-useful rectangles the top arrangement leaves.

Comments