Real Fighting Garb, Part 1

Two people in medieval garb and armour, in a school gym. The smaller one in brown and blue is lunging forward, ready to swing a sword over their shoulder at the larger one in silver and red, who's set to parry with a spear.
The author, trying desperately not to get speared like a fish. I'm the littler one in brown and blue.
I decided it was time and past time to have some real fighting garb. Also I wore through my garage sale linen pants. So I got a few yards of cheap cotton (and I tried to avoid the primary colors thing, but the greens and purples were just too obviously modern for me) and set to making poofy pants, based on a variety of SCA Viking and Turkish patterns.

Four folded pieces of broadcloth: a grey-blue, an orangey red, a pale soft yellow, and a clear medium blue.
Pictured: Future pants. And a caftan.
Unfortunately I didn’t take any construction photos, but I need to make another pair, so I’ll try to remember next time. From four yards of 44-inch fabric, I tore two 1.5-yard panels for legs (using the width of the fabric for length) and cut a 5x12-inch (or so) diamond for a gusset. The cuffs are 6x12-inch pieces doubled over and edges finished before being attached.

The cuff of a pair of soft-yellow pants, with the very full leg coming down into loose box pleats inserted into the smooth cuff.
I sewed the gusset to the legs first, then continued down the inseams and up the front and back center seams. After felling those seams, I folded over the top three or four inches and stitched that down for a drawstring casing, leaving the front seam open so I could insert the drawstring later (learned that lesson the hard way). I attached the cuffs by pinning the legs into them at each quarter, and halving the distance between pins until I had nice even box pleats all the way around.

They’re huge on 5-foot-3-inch me, and I love them.

Two people in medieval garb and armour, in a school gym. The larger one in brown and black is holding a shield and ready to swing a sword over their shoulder at the smaller one in red and yellow, who's set to parry with a sword.
Bonus action shot, in which I'm fairly confident I'm about to be murdered.

Comments