Finished Vest

Actually, I finished it about two weeks ago. But here is the proof!

A vest with vertical patchwork stripes in green, gold, red, and blue fabrics, laid out on a desk piled with magazines and books.
I just love the colors; this was just after pinning pieces of shoelace into the front edges to stiffen them a bit for better button support.

The curved edges of a diagonally-striped patchwork vest, with pins inserted perpendicular to the edges at intervals.
Getting button placement set. Nine buttons down the front, with thread loops on the opposite side. And remarkably, without checking, I chose to use the buttons that matched the one I'd grabbed to close my pouch with last year (also a last-minute project. Also more complex than the time allotted really called for. I sense a pattern).

A striped patchwork vest with green lining and green, gold, red, and blue stripes, and gold buttons with black loops, draped on the back of a tan couch.
And finished! I do need to rework the button loops; they function well enough, but I made them of loops of embroidery floss knotted and pulled into a lark's head knot over the stitched-in shoelace, so the strands tend to separate in places that aren't the intended button-holding loop. I need to use braided floss or tighter-spun cord instead.

The corner of a piece of green linen, with a tiny running-stitch seam down the right side. A small, straight horizontal cut in green linen fabric. A small, horizontal slit pocket in green linen, with the lower edge folded over and seamed down.
And here, three steps in the pocket-creation process! I made a little tiny pouch, since I decided I really wanted a hidden pocket, and whipstitched the raw edges after realizing that I'd made it too small to French seam the way I'd originally intended. Then I very carefully cut a perfectly straight slit in the lining fabric by pulling a thread and cutting along the line it left, inserted the pocket between lining and outer fabric, and stitched it in place. Very fiddly process, and the slit was maybe one-sixteenth of an inch too long for the pocket, but I'm pleased with the results. It's subtle, holds what it needs to, and stays nice and secure when I'm wearing the vest.

Comments