I Feel Like Dancing

This was meant to be the corduroy-accented wrap skirt from the Batshit Wishlist, but it turned into enough of an engineering challenge without the wrap belt that I made an executive decision to skip that detail. Instead it's a lovely, extremely full linen skirt that I've been informed looks perfect for contra dancing.

I will admit, now that I've watched a few videos, contra dancing looks fun. Terrifying (as is true of all dancing, for me). But fun.

A young, reheaded white woman, facing the camera and shown full length, with her long hair braided and falling over her right shoulder. She's suppressing a smile, barefoot, and with her arms vanishing nearly to the elbow in the pockets of her drop-waisted, muted teal skirt, which has a narrow band of rust-red running about four inches above the rough-cut hem. She also has an eggplant shirt on with the sleeves pushed up, and a thin gold necklace. The room behind her is shades of beige and brown, with a squashy couch and a few framed pictures behind her.
I cropped it out, but this started as a continuation of the informal series: Photos With Ceiling Fans Haloing Sabine's Head.
However, first I had to make the skirt, which was (not to mince words) a dangling-participled, slack-jawed, pustulated ratbag. I know I look smug up there. I am. Because at several stages I was tempted to light this skirt on fire rather than have it in my presence any longer. (Lighting myself on fire was also briefly considered, but discarded as surplus to requirements.)

A young white woman from the neck down, wearing a blue, teal, and black ogee-patterned wrap dress, with a bright lime-green panel pinned to her waist and extending to her hips, and a rumpled panel of muted teal linen hanging from the lower edge of the lime-green panel.
This might be the least stylish photo of myself I've ever posted to the interwebs.
The skirt started with the world's laziest mockup—I nabbed the upper curve of the waistband from an older pattern I'd used for a calaveras skirt, and extended the pattern lines to make an eight-inch-deep yoke. Risky business, perhaps, but as I have no hips to speak of, just extending the existing lines gave plenty of room. I pinned in a scrap serving as the pocket proxy, to check placement and depth (note that the tips of my fingers just reach the bottom of the pocket; none of these "can't quite fit a phone or keys" pockets, thanks). And then pinned just the center section of one of the half-circle panels I'd cut for the body of the skirt, just to get a sense of the length I was likely end up with.

I pinned the whole mess to myself, roughly where I wanted the waist to land, and called it good.

A large, nearly trapezoidal piece of bright lime-green fabric, taller than it is wide and with a gently curved lower edge, laid out on a shallow triangle of muted teal fabric where it just fits, all on a pale green floral ironing board.
Pockets the size of FRANCE!
Luckily I am a compulsive scrap saver, and, more luckily still, my massive pockets just fit on the leftover bits from cutting four half-circles from my (overdyed and nonrepeatable) linen. This was meant to be a 1.5-circle skirt, but I realized I wouldn't have enough fabric left for anything else of substance after that. I did have enough for one more half-circle, so a tremendously full skirt was born.

A muted-teal skirt with a deep yoke and the gathered-on skirts in three sections, front and both sides, laid flat on beige carpet.
If I'd left it this way, it would've been a killer can-can skirt.
I didn't take many photos of constructing the yoke/pockets/skirt, mainly because I had no idea what I was doing and I very much do not recommend constructing a skirt this way.

I wanted a full yoke lining, but my pockets needed to open starting in the yoke, and they were meant to continue into the skirt. This led to all manner of finagling to get the front lining tacked to one surface of the pockets, the other surface of which was tacked to the outer layer of the yoke, without accidentally closing the pocket opening. I also had meant to use the yoke lining to finish the upper edge of the skirt by enclosing it between the lining and outer layers of the yoke, but with pockets in the way, that didn't quite work. (Entailing more pocket-tacking to seal off the raw upper edges of the skirt panels.)

A rusty-orange yoke lining, pinned into a muted-teal skirt, with the skirt fabric folded over the yoke at left to make a wide button band, and the gathered-on skirt showing just below the yoke lining.
In a way, this was procrastination to avoid figuring out how to deal with the pocket/yoke situation.
The side-backs were much easier, lacking pockets. I just turned under the yoke lining and stitched it to the gathers of the skirt panel, and double folded the outer fabric to make a more stable band for eventual buttons.

A muted teal drop-waisted skirt, hanging on a skirt hanger hooked over a bundle of arrow shafts protruding from the top shelf of a very crowded closet.
Just sit there and think about what you've done.
Not pictured: a very horrible, bad, terrible, no-good night. The deep yoke on this skirt looks great when it lies smoothly, but when I tacked the lining to the gathered section, I inadvertently cinched it just tighter than the outer layer, which made the yoke bag pretty dramatically right over my stomach.

I pinned the skirt on the instant it could be called 'nearly wearable,' took a few photos to check the fit, and more or less burst into tears when I looked at them. I looked dumpy, and the baggy yoke emphasized how not-willowy I am—and despite a few years of slowly, cautiously engaging with the hows and whys and wherefores of disliking my body shape (think strong like ox but miniature), I still want to look like I live on pickled ginger and morning dew. And this skirt, which I had so painstakingly constructed off a waistband I knew I liked and in a style I knew felt good, did not favor that illusion at all.

So. Thanks, I guess, to this skirt for pointing out that I have more to do on the body image front. (Also, I took it to a friend to ask for help, and we figured out the issue with the yoke lining, and the bagging immediately vanished when I released the seam and moved the lining up a touch.)

And then it got to hang for a few days to let the fabric stretch and settle.

A messy pile of torn rust-red fabric strips on top of muted-teal strips, on a medium-brown wood table.
Noodles.
Meanwhile, I tore some of the leftover red cotton from my fighting coat into 2(ish)-inch strips, and eked out just enough 5-inch strips from the remainder of the muted teal to make an extension. The skirt as cut ended up somewhere between low-knee and tea length, and I was hoping for something closer to my ankles. By this point, I'd also accepted that the corduroy-lined wrap belt wasn't going to happen on this skirt, so I cannibalized the piece I'd cut from the linen to make up the final ten inches of extension.

An oblong roll of alternating muted-teal and rust-red torn strips, seen end-on like a fibrous cinnamon roll.
Did you know 10 yards is a lot?
And then I seamed all the strips of each color end to end to make two very very very long strips (this skirt has a ten-yard hem. No, I am not exaggerating. It is a longer hem than my bliaut), which I then pinned to each other down the length to machine-sew, because I have a deadline and there is no material benefit to hand-piecing ten yards of skirt extension.

I also machine-sewed the extension to the skirt, and zigzagged the seam with two torn edges, as the one more likely to fray itself into oblivion. The other seam I'm leaving alone, to see how it wears. Eventually, I'd like to do some embroidery on the red panel, and I can use that to tack down the raw edges further.

A close-up of a tan buttonhole worked densely in muted teal fabric at the base of a deep button placket, with pins marking the positions of more buttonholes and two blue-shell buttons showing on the underlap.
I actually love working buttonholes.
And then, buttonholes! I found eight matching buttons in my stash, probably nabbed from a shirt I took apart for fabric, eyeballed the spacing and fiddled with pins to see how far down the skirt needed to open—not as far as I'd expected!—and marked positions with pins. I stitched around the proposed hole with a very large (two or three stitches per side) backstitch, to define the hole and stabilize the layers, then sliced each one open with my seam ripper and worked a firm buttonhole stitch around the edge in doubled thread. They feel very substantial, which pleases me.

A column of eight blue-iridescent two-hole shell buttons, stitched on with tan thread and done up through tan buttonholes, in a muted-teal skirt yoke.
Swoon. Lovely buttons.
Attaching buttons went quickly, and I managed to get the thread shanks the right length to settle the buttonholes under smoothly.

The back of a muted-teal skirt yoke, showing the rusty-orange lining where the top isn't quite aligned. The topmost and bottom two blue-iridescent shell buttons are done up, but the other five tan buttonholes are empty. Two small, angled darts are pinned into the waistband about two inches from the buttonband.
I eyeballed those darts, because I am allergic to doing things properly.
And THEN, after my small crisis of appearance halfway through construction, I discovered that the waistband was in fact too loose at the top, and wasn't holding the skirt high enough on me. So I fiddled around with some back darts until I got the right amount of fabric taken up (close to four inches, when I was done) and the right length of dart.

Those I backstitched, very small and firm, down the visible pleat and back up the underlapped pleat, to make little triangular stitched details out of the darts. The extra seaming also helped flatten the rather excessive layers of yoke + lining + yoke + lining + yoke + lining (that's six layers of linen).

Slightly rumpled fabrics in just-different shades of muted teal, each with a narrow stripe of rust-red fabric running across the width.
These are different garments, which I made about two years removed from each other.
And after a rather lovely date, I came home and flopped on the floor...and discovered that I'd lifted the color scheme and ratio directly from my fighting coat. (Not terribly shocking, since the red is the exact same fabric. But clearly I have a predilection.)

Stay tuned for further Batshit Wishlist shenanigans. The deadline looms.

Comments