Ye Riddel-Mastre

Now that I've really stared the behemoth of a project I've created for myself in the face...it's time to think about the following behemoth of a project. At least this one will be planned with a very specific aim. And timeframe. And I think I know what I'm getting into? Probably not, but that's okay.

I've been wanting to make an entirely hand-written and -illuminated book for years now, and always thought I'd decide on Rose Daughter when I got around to it. Rose Daughter is my comfort book and has been since I discovered it in middle school; it's the first book I read when I move into a new place, and the book I turn to whenever I need reassurance or warmth or a quiet place to go for a while.

It...also feels like a book that would rather be printed and illustrated than made medieval. And it has about 95,000 words, but let's not be vulgar about word count. So I needed a different option...maybe The Last Unicorn? It's almost exactly the same length, if you're wondering. And then I thought, Patricia A. McKillip's Riddle-Master trilogy feels right for this project and for 12th-century illumination and calligraphy. I love the whole series deeply. I wouldn't get bored of it. The first book only has 70,000 words. Excellent. I know what I'm writing.

As for how to write it...well. I know I'm not interested in making ink, pens, or paints for this project. Outside the scope I'm going for. Okay, so probably India ink or other calligraphy inks, and a metal-nibbed pen. I'm also not remotely rich enough to use parchment, vellum, or really convincing imitations of either. The search is on for paper that's sturdy, fairly smooth-surfaced but not glossy, translucent enough, and affordable. I feel like Goldilocks.

A sketchbook page with the alphabet in outlined capital letters on five lines, in a semi-Uncial style. Each letter has a different division line in the uprights, including zigzags, curves, crenellations, and diamonds. A more decorated capital 'R' is at the top of the page, with three lines of text below.
These are not the correct style. I'm still pretty proud of them.
Meanwhile, I've been collecting references for calligraphic style (most likely I'm going with protogothic script, though late Carolingian appears to be used through the mid-twelfth century as well) and illuminations, looking at the colors and decorative motifs. I'd love to make this a clever project where each book in the trilogy appears to have been copied at a slightly later date than the preceding text, so the first will have foliated or otherwise fancified initials only at chapter beginnings, with colored initials at Moments I Think Are Important, as in religious texts where verse beginnings get colored initials. I'm planning to pick four or five moments to illustrate, as well; I'd like to do at least one full-page illustration, and a number of half-page illustrations.

And I'm not even thinking about making false ivory covers. I'm not. Really. Much.

Comments