259 Inches

That's how many inches are going to be in the hem of this bliaut. That's...a lot. 7.19 yards a lot, actually. I already love it.

While I was spending some quality time at the laundromat (one of the joys of fleas in the apartment is the truly maddening quantity of laundry that has to be done to help eradicate the eggs, but it means I get to spend plenty of time working on projects), I got out the dress fabric to check my math and remeasure the fabric for the skirt. Ages ago, I bought ten yards of lovely olive green/gold silk for this dress, and planned to use whatever I needed for the bodice and upper sleeves, about 1.5 yards per lower sleeve, and the rest for the skirt. Clearly I had taken leave of my senses...but on the other hand, most of the research I've done so far suggests that immense quantities of fabric were used for these dresses, and there's really no better way to test the theory than by trying it. Besides, if I'm clever about how I attach the skirt, I'll be able to remake it in the future and have 7.19 yards of nearly-pristine fabric to play with.

A low-angle photo of three long bands of gold scrolling oak leaf embroidery on deep brown silk, with narrow chain-stitch and diamond borders on each band of oak leaves, and turquoise basting stitches marking the edges of each strip.
I promise someday I'll get my real camera out to take proper macro photos. At least the colors are true here.
And. This weekend, I completed 201 inches of trim. (Or rather, I completed the 201st inch. I did not stitch 201 total inches this weekend. I don't think that's remotely possible for me in any 48-hour period.) Only 58 more, and I get to switch to the sleeve trim (and guess how much of that there is? While you're guessing, I'm going to ogle the existing trim because it pleases me so).

Three long bands of gold scrolling oak leaf embroidery on deep brown silk, with narrow chain-stitch and diamond borders on each band of oak leaves, and turquoise basting stitches marking the edges of each strip. The base fabric is softly pleated in six parts across the bands, vertical to the viewer, making dramatic highlights and shadows on the folds from the strong sunlight coming in from the right.
It's...kind of shiny. A lot. My poor phone doesn't know what to do with that information.
I tried to capture how gorgeous the gold thread is when the sun hits it, but of course the ground fabric is also silk and so also shiny and...well...you get the idea. Kind of. I still love the texture of the embroidered portion. It's almost crunchy, what with the stitch density and the materials. Very satisfying.

Three long bands of gold scrolling oak leaf embroidery on deep brown silk, with narrow chain-stitch and diamond borders on each band of oak leaves, and turquoise basting stitches marking the edges of each strip. The base fabric is softly pleated across the bands, horizontal to the viewer, making dramatic highlights and shadows on the folds from the strong sunlight coming in from above.
Late afternoon light is so great for drama.
I was tempted to drape some kind of skirt out of the existing fabric, but I might fall in love with it and then I'd be tempted to just...do this sort of thing all over again. And I might still! But not right now. I am so close to finishing. Sort of. (Heyyyyyy, have I mentioned the idea I had to embroider little stars all over the fabric for another bliaut? It's navy blue, and the sleeves and collar and belt are going to be carmine red, and I could do little gold stars all over the blue sections and then a row of them along the very edge of the red sleeves and it would be so pretty and this is why I shouldn't be allowed any free time, look at how many projects I already have.)

Remember the sleeve trim? The hems are 54 inches long apiece, so that's another 108 inches, and then about 12 inches for each upper sleeve band, which brings the total linear sleeve embroidery to 132 inches (yeesh. Sabine, you know, you could have gone for less ostentation. You don't even like attention). And then there's still the collar, which is challenging to measure in linear inches but will probably be close to 130 square inches of embroidered area, and in a more delicate and involved pattern.

Three long bands of gold scrolling oak leaf embroidery on deep brown silk, with narrow chain-stitch and diamond borders on each band of oak leaves, and turquoise basting stitches marking the edges of each strip.
Swirly swirly swirly.
How about we go back to admiring the finished portion? That's less daunting than 190 more inches (hey, I am past the halfway point! cool) and an indeterminate quantity of collar.

Comments