Still Embroidering...

And making decent progress toward my goal of having the third strip of skirt trim completely finished by next Monday. All I have to do is a foot of leaves and vines per day from now until then (yes, I've already done a foot and a half. Just three more leaves for today). Toooooootally doable. Also: totally ignoring all the other things I have going on this week.

Two long bands of gold scrolling oak leaf embroidery on deep brown silk, with narrow chain-stitch and diamond borders on each band of oak leaves, one band composed only of the borders and center sine curve, and turquoise basting stitches marking the edges of each strip. The base fabric is fanned out with the completed embroidery at the outer edge of the half-circle, and soft pleats ending in a roughly crumpled center..
Maybe if I make every other curl acorns instead of leaves?
I've also been putting some thought into how I want to make the neckline trim different from the skirt and sleeve trim, and considering digging through my silk stash for thread similar to the peach habotai I'm using for sleeve lining. I love the look of the foliate pattern I've been doing, and I'm going to stick with it for the sleeve cuffs and armbands, but it's really the crayon drawing version of most 12th-century foliate patterns I've seen. Also I might get sick of it after another 6 yards. Current ideas...

• Sketch out a more complex foliate pattern to stitch with doubled gold thread, instead of the quadrupled I've been using. Instead of single leaves in the coils, I could do triplets, and more complex secondary sprays (or interlacing ones, which would be a challenge to plot out, but very fetching).

• Stitch pretty much the same pattern I've been using with doubled gold thread, and add interlacing flourishes in peach. Another version of this would be interlocking patterns, one in gold and one in peach.

• Stitch a diaper pattern in peach for the background (diaper as in small-tessellated-geometric, not thing-you-put-on-baby) and overlay the heavier gold pattern, as I've been stitching it.

More test embroidery to follow, which ought to be extremely strange after wrangling two yards of taffeta and muslin the last several months. Of course, I really don't need to test any of these ideas until after I've finished some portion of the sleeve trim, and that won't happen until August at the very earliest. It's nice to dream, though.

Comments