Vining and Leaves

Over the past few days I've gotten the main vining done on the skirt trim, after a wee hiatus for other projects (and because I was still working out the order of operations for this next bit).

A piece of dark brown silk in a wooden embroidery hoop, with a pair of diamond stitched borders outlining a wider band, and a chalked sine wave running down the open space.
It's a sine curve! With a four-inch period, so there's an apex every two inches. I remember math.
As with the interval marks for the narrow diamond borders, I marked the main vine out in roughly 20-inch segments, starting with the two-inch marks and freehanding the path of the curves to match. I worked down the length of the strip with quadrupled thread in chain stitch, as for the narrow borders, and then I was ready to start the leaves.

A piece of dark brown silk stretched in a wooden embroidery hoop, with two narrow bands of diamond embroidery flanking a chain-stitched sine curve with a single curl and oak leaf springing from it.
The first leaf!
Once the main undulating vine was stitched, I started adding secondary branches and leaves at the beginning. And stabbed my finger with the blunt end of the needle, trying to squeeze it through a heavily embroidered area one more time for the center vein.

A piece of dark brown silk stretched in a wooden embroidery hoop, with two narrow bands of diamond embroidery flanking a chain-stitched sine curve with a curl and oak leaf springing from it, and smaller curls and an acorn springing from that. Another curl and leaf have been started, and the needle and thread are looped on top of the work.
And halfway through the second.
Despite my plans to keep the vining fairly simple, I've found myself adding minor branches to fill whatever negative space there is. Ah well. It'll be beautiful when it's finished. I am going to vary the amount of leaf fill, however, from solid to half-fill to outline.

Comments