Blue Poofy Pants

One of my dearest friends was concerned about the effects of grass on my brilliant yellow fighting pants when we moved practices outside again, so I've finally made the second pair of poofy pants.

A pair of very wide pants with perfectly rectangular legs, laid out flat on square wooden tables.
These pants are as wide as two break room tables. I am about half a break room table wide.
Same pattern as the earlier pair, with a few modifications. I still used 54-inch panels for each leg, with a roughly 15x9-inch diamond for the gusset, set with the long points running into the legs. All French seams this time—mostly because I didn't feel like pinning the seam allowances for flat felling.

The cuff of a pair of blue pants, nearly filled with neatly pinned folds of fabric, with the fuzzy selvedges showing.
Four-to-one is about as high a ratio as I'd like to deal with, unless I were using fine silk.
The method I've landed on for dealing with narrow cuffs on very wide-legged pants is to make two layers of overlapping box pleats. I don't love gathering, and for seams that are likely to bear some strain, I'd rather be able to do a nice firm stab stitch and know it had caught plenty of the fabric. So, the first step is to pin the leg into the cuff at intervals—I start with the quarters, because they're easy to find, then halve them, then halve each of those sections again, leaving me with 16 divisions.

The cuff of a pair of blue pants, showing alternating neatly pinned folds of fabric, some flat to the cuff and some sticking into the opening with the fuzzy selvedges showing.
Half the box pleats pinned.
Next, pin alternate sections into box pleats that run right up to each other, pinching the remaining sections at the base.

The cuff of a pair of blue pants, with thick, neatly pinned folds of fabric lining the inside and the fuzzy selvedges making a dense edge.
All pleats pinned. (I don't know what's happening with the color in this photo, but the cloth is not remotely grey.)
Pin down the remaining sections in box pleats that overlap the existing pleats completely, making the whole cuff about five layers thick all the way around. (Oh, my aching fingers.)

A poorly lit photo of the outside cuff of a pair of blue pants, showing the folded-over band and the deep pleats emerging from it, with a threaded needle stuck into the band at the center.
Stab stitching the cuff again, from the outside.
Theoretically I could just as well get the cuff folded over and pinned so I could do one pass of stab stitch, but I'm still over-engineering fighting clothes for fear that a seam will tear out on me, so I do one pass to anchor the pleats and another to finish the cuff and create the drawstring channel. It typically takes about an hour per cuff, if I don't get distracted too much.

The waistband of a pair of blue pants, pinned with some pleats in the legs, and showing a neat row of tiny stitches starting around the waistband.
Nice even stitches to anchor the waistband. And at last, a color-accurate photo!
For these pants, instead of the folded over waistband I did on the yellow ones, which works but requires me to readjust the gathers every time I wear them, I made a separate waistband, finishing the short edges before stitching it on.

I pinned the quarters like for the cuffs, then started pleating from the center back and center front toward the sides, where I placed just one inverted box pleat. This brings the bulk of the fabric to the center of the garment, which may or may not make a difference. I think it looks nice, and the pleating into the waistband reduces the bulk tremendously.

Two people in medieval clothing and armour, fighting with long rattan swords in a green park. Both are in red; one is roughly twice the size of the other, and bearing down on the smaller person with their sword.
pleasedon'tkillme, pleasedon'tkillme

Two people in medieval clothing and armour, fighting with long rattan swords in a green park. Both are in red; one is roughly twice the size of the other, and swinging their sword horizontally while the smaller person sets up for a vertical block.
Also I wear leg armour over my pants right now, so the poof is a bit tamed.
I still have no photos of me in the pants without a lot of armour and caftan obscuring them, but these show a little bit.

Comments