Fish Filet! Sashimi! Tuna Steak!

Not that any of those things are in this post, but...well, you'll get it in a moment.

A narrow maroon warp on a wooden table loom, tied onto the cloth beam with neat knots and long, full tails.
Lovely nice neat knots on the new warp. And no funny breakages, either! Also, those tails started barely long enough for me to hold them...this yarn is so incredibly stretchy.

A narrow maroon warp on a wooden table loom, with four rows of tissue paper packed into the beginning to spread the warp.
And a few rows of plain weave tissue paper to even out the threads. Theoretically I could take advantage of that for long fringe, if I felt like picking out those knots.

A close-up of the first repeat of a diagonal twill in brown on maroon, which makes a chevron pattern very like a raw tuna filet.
Et voila! Fish filet. Tuna steak, to be specific. Turns out color and pattern choices are crucial...who'd've thunk?

Several repeats of a brown and maroon diagonal twill design that looks like rows of raw tuna filet.
I like it anyway. Eight shaft straight draw threading, and the treadling is a sequence of all the possible twills, 1:7 to 7:1 and back down. It was a whim, and I'm delighted I had it. Next time I might try the twill sequence without reversing the treadling direction, just to see how that looks. Or maybe stick with one twill style, but do uneven zigzags with it. Or maybe...but first, I'm doing several yards of little diamonds for my cloak fabric. And I'm using a slightly more open sett; this is lovely fabric, but I think I want it a tiny bit lighter for the cloak. Anyway, I have about four feet left to weave before that becomes an issue.

Also, must be more attentive to selvedges on the cloak fabric. I'm considering a quarter inch plain weave selvedge, both to give me a sturdier edge to stitch and to be a touch more resistant to drawing in than twill.

A garter stitch shawl in muted jewel tones, crumpled on a tan couch and still on the needles.
P.S. It's bigger! Actually about a third again as big as in this picture, and I'm preparing to add a knitted-on border to it because I am quite literally incapable of a project that remains simple for its entirety. It's incredibly squooshy and drapes beautifully already. I can't wait to block it out...after the edging. Which will probably take a few weeks, at the rate I've been doing the dead simple garter body.

Comments