But Wait, More Weaving

A plain weave inkle band in progress on a wooden band loom, made of fine magenta threads with border strips of turquoise around single strands of white.
Current weaving-related things! Dead simple inkle weaving, intended for a demo that I ended up not attending because I woke up more tired than I went to sleep, and that seemed like a sign.

A close-up of brown hemstitching on a maroon and brown diagonal twill piece.A maroon and brown diagonal twill strip of fabric, looking much like very fresh raw tuna fillet.
Next, the completed scarf/sample, complete with ineptly hemstitched ends (I didn’t feel like tying tiny knots in the warp threads. Not convinced hemstitching was faster or less fiddly, to be totally honest).

An eight-shaft table loom, warped across the entire width with maroon, and with several rows of toilet paper packed into the beginning to spread the warp threads.
And a beautiful, perfect, completely deceptive photo of what appears to be a neatly set-up loom. It’s not. I did a bad thing and worked on that warp pretty much all weekend, and at the end of the day on Sunday looked at it, having just finished threading, and thought, “I should just wind that on and then it’ll be all ready for me to weave tomorrow.” Fatal mistake number one. And then I couldn’t find any sticks long enough to fit under the whole warp, nor any paper to wind between the layers, and I thought, eh, it’ll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Fatal mistake number two. Having wound the whole (5ish yard) warp on, I realized that the threads at the edges were significantly longer than the center ones. Thought, oh, I must have measured this more inconsistently than I realized. Thought, I’ll just tie these onto the cloth beam and trim off the extra. Thought, it’ll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. FINE. TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY FINE. I’ll give you three guesses what it was not when I looked at it again on Monday.

Fine. Fine is what it was not.

So I unwound the whole damn thing and am now adding lengths of warp to the (now too-short) threads, and I will finally be winding it back on tonight, with paper between the layers (there are still no sticks long enough in the studio to use) and by god, I’m going to weave. A whole week of unlimited access to my mentor’s studio while she’s out of town, and I waste three-quarters of it making a very very very dumb mistake.

Comments