Knit Knit Knit

Predictably, this is a post about knitting.

The corner of a garter stitch shawl in muted jewel tones, with a wide, cream lace edging just started and the circular needle turned from the live colored edge to hold the stitches of the edging.
I was going to use slighter smaller needles than I had for the body (size 10s with DK weight yarn makes nice drapey fabric. I thought the same with sock weight would be unbearably limp) but found that I liked the fabric I was getting. So, same size needles it is! And I have also learned that this technique is a serious pain to begin when you have a whole giant shawl dangling from the needles still.

A garter stitch shawl in muted jewel tones, with a cream knitted-on lace border, piled on a dark wood desk next to an office phone and a small messenger bag.
Approaching a quarter of the border finished. I'm now only ten or so stitches from the halfway point, where I will be inventing some sort of corner, probably involving knitting twice into certain body stitches to give me enough ease for rounding the center point of the shawl. Blocking should even out any ripples; it's certainly loose enough fabric to stand a great deal of stretching.

And I love the colors, and I'm still having great fun knitting the border, so this might be a new go-to finish for large stretchy things. Much better than trying to control my naturally tight knitting for the entire length of a long bind-off.

Comments