Constructing the Lower Sleeves

Time for the next big section of this dress! Which is actually getting broken into three posts, because I'm wordy and there are a ton of photos, and also because this is my blog and I'll natter if I want to. So there.

A joined strip of gold oak-leaf embroidery with narrow diamond borders on smooth brown silk, draped on a pale wood table and showing the white backing fabirc where the strip is folded under.
I'm pretty pleased with the matching on these pieces.
As with the skirt trim, first I had to graft pieces together—just two short pieces for each sleeve, and since the pieces were shorter, I didn't have as much drift in the width of the narrow borders. Very satisfying to stitch together, even if I am finally getting a little tired of this particular scrolling vine motif.

A strip of gold floral embroidery on smooth brown silk, laid over the edge of a piece of green-gold fabric, with crumpled peach fabric just showing at right.
With bonus lining fabric taking over my coworker's desk. This is why I arrive early in the morning.
As with the hem trim, I folded under the excess and pinned each piece on, stitching one edge down completely before starting on the other. Unlike the skirt, on the sleeves I wanted the trim right up against the hem, which was a little more fiddly than placing the skirt trim three inches away from it. I was also ever so slightly over-enthusiastic about the length of embroidery for these pieces, so one seam is going to be very slim in an effort to avoid trimming away the embroidery.

A close-up of the upturned edges of two pieces of fabric, showing small tan running stitches wandering off the edge of he lower, green-gold fabric and only following the turned-down edge of the brown fabric.
Look how green that fabric is. Deceptively. It's also still gold in the background.
Because I was laying the first line of stitches right against the selvedge, there was a little bit of fun with checking that I was indeed actually stitching the base fabric, but once I sorted that out, attaching the trim went very quickly.

A blue fabric-covered table, nearly hidden under a sheer layer of creased peach silk.
The slightly less wrinkly section in the middle is where I've ironed.
This is about...three-quarters of the lining for one sleeve. The sleeves aren't that totally huge, but this silk is at most half the thickness of the green-gold-whatever main fabric, and for the lovely peach color to show strongly, it needs to be doubled. First, though, it needed to have the well-pressed creases from being folded up since I cut the panels ironed out, and for that I borrowed a friend's extremely clever padded table (thanks!). Squidging lighter-than-breath fabric onto my ironing board with the cats helping and the static sticking everything everywhere else sounded like no fun at all.

Bright peach silk, pinned at the right edge wher ethe selvedge shows slightly more opaque than the fabric body, on a pale blue background.
See how much brighter the peachiness is?
As with the green silk, I folded the peach so the selvedges would be at the open edge of the sleeve, which will save me needing to finish those edges as I construct the sleeves. Also, it meant I could use nominally-straight edges to square up the rest of the panel as I pinned it to the outer layer. Efficiency.

Bright peach silk, pinned at the left edge and folded back to reveal the green-gold silk beneath and the band of gold floral embroidery along the left edge of the green-gold fabric, on a pale blue background.
Smoooooooooth. And that's all three of the main colors playing nicely together!
I ended up pinning the outer layer on top of the smoothed and ironed lining, after realizing I'd probably be whipstitching the three selvedges together rather than stitching a seam that would need to be turned. Also, I didn't want to arrange the two layers of lining again.

A close-up of a white finger and thumb pinching the edge of a piece of gold floral embroidery on brown fabric, showing the tan running stitches each about half the length of the gold chain stitches in the border. Peach fabric shows in the background, and green-gold fabric is just visible below the far edge of the embroidery.
That is not a whipstitch...but it's a great shot of the scale I'm working at.
I tried a wee section of whipstitch to bind the lining selvedges to the open edge of the cuff, but didn't much like the effect—and I worried that I might not be catching both edges of the lining. Instead, I squeezed a tiny running stitch under the free edge of the trim. It's not as invisible as I'd imagined, but if I find it really bothers me later, it's easy to modify.

Two large pieces of green-gold fabric laid flat on a wood floor, with a soft fold at the center where they just touch and bands of gold floral embroidery on brown silk at the far edge. A piece of white tailor's chalk rests on the nearer piece, and a line of pins and very faint chalk line are just visible at the near edge of the fabric. A pink measuring tapes runs flat across the lower left corner of the photo.
The Man Who Would Be King is playing in the background. This photo sounds like Sean Connery.
Next after attaching the lining at one edge was doing up the back seam of the sleeves to anchor it there, and to make the sleeves match in width. The panels started out about the same size, but fine fabrics are wriggly and untrustworthy under the best conditions, and being toted around in a bag for a few weeks definitely doesn't constitute "the best conditions". So I laid them out on the floor, fussed and pinned until all six layers of fabric were reasonably smooth and even, and marked a chalk line (which you can just see in the photo up there) to follow as I stitched up the initial seam. I'd considered doing separate flat-felled seams on the outer and lining layers, arranging them so the sides with the folded seam allowance faced each other, and tacking the two layers together, but after working with the lining fabric I realized that was going to be much more fiddly than I wanted to deal with. Simple, one-layer flat-felled seams won.

A seam in green-gold fabirc, with small seam allowances of a single layer of green-gold fabric each and two doubled peach seam allowances at the senter.
The pinkish tinge is in fact not a trick of the light this time. It's the lining showing through the outer fabric.
"Simple", of course, is a misnomer, but it's simpler than the original plan. The seam is a little thicker than usual, because I didn't trim down the folded edges of the lining fabric before enclosing it; I've constructed several elements of this dress with an eye to reusing the fabric someday, if I ever get tired of it or have a better idea. Even with needle marks, a single large panel of fabric will be more usable than two narrow strips.

And that's where I left the lower sleeves, at least for a bit. The next step couldn't happen until I had upper sleeves constructed.

Comments