Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Ever since I moved into my house, I've known that the gate to the backyard would need to be replaced. The post that the original chain link gate latched onto was sagging drunkenly, and I'd thought it was rotting at the base. (When I pulled it out, it turned out to just have been sunk into very soft soil, and had slowly fallen toward the anchored side until the gate couldn't reach it to latch.) I also just prefer wood fencing, despite the extra maintenance it requires.

The project finally came together, after a period of collecting wood and other materials, when I claimed the gate my dad had built for the basement stairs when my sister was an infant. We've had it in the garage for years, and it's still in beautiful shape, so it just needed a very thorough coat of paint to give it a chance against the elements.

A white picket gate with decorative black hinges, standing apparently unaided between a tan house with white trim and the corner of a chainlink fence. Bright sunlight is pouring across the grassy yard in the background, but the gate is in cool shadow.
It's...the Levi-gate!
To figure out where to put the posts for the gate, and how much fencing I'd need, I propped the gate up in the space between my house and the corner of my neighbor's fence, and spent a bunch of time looking at it, running through it, looking at it some more, running back through it.

A white picket gate leaning slightly against a white-trimmed tan house corner, leaving a wide gap between itself and the corner of a chainlink fence. A small tan stone block with the University of Nebraska N and "Huskers" writtenacross teh center stands in the middle of the gap.
Featuring serendipitous Husker block from my parents' new house.
There was also some contemplation of how to orient the gate for most usefulness/minimal potential to squash plants or block the neighbors' gate.

Two tall posts set in the gap between a chainlink fence and a tan, white-trimmed house corner, propped up with diagonal boards attached to stakes in the ground. A variety of drills, boxes of screws, work gloves, and bags of concrete are scattered around the bases of the posts, and laundry sways lightly on a line in the background.
Hashtag: engineering.
Dad came over to help set the posts for the gate, providing crucial Engineer Advice and also doing a lot of the digging (thanks, Dad!) with the spud bar we've used to dig a lot of holes and pry a lot of big damn rocks out of the dirt. So far, in a turn of events I could not have even dreamt of, my yard appears to be gloriously rich clay loamish, with no big rocks lurking. I may now have doomed myself by saying that publicly.

Dad and I got as far as attaching the vertical support for the cross beams of the fence to the chain link corner, using the same clamps meant to hitch the netting bit of a chain link fence to the posts and great long bolts that would pass through the clamp and the board, but the rest of the construction had to wait a day for the concrete to set up. After watching my clothesline poles lever themselves up and out of the ground from insufficient concreting, I've gotten cautious about stressing posts in the ground until I'm certain they're staying put.

Meanwhile, Mom got all but about four feet of the border garden I've been very, very slowly installing prepped with cardboard underlayment and a thick carpet of compost over the flipped sod. She's a superhero, and I can't wait to stuff that garden with plants next spring.

A photo taken steeply downward toward the photographer's foot, which is pinning a short board across the gap between two upturned plastic totes, while she cuts through it with a handsaw that's just missing the heel of her boot. It's fine.
We don't need no stinkin' OSHA.
My woodshop is...

Well.

It's Spartan, which is to say it has minimal frills and is also likely to cause physical and emotional distress because of that lack of frillage.

I didn't lose any toes (or fingers, or blood, actually) cutting the rest of the fence pieces to length, though there was some weird jury-rigging as usual; in this case, I'm cutting a wee block to brace the horizontal beam against the vertical board attached to the side of my garage.

A close-up of a horizontal board screwed into a vertical board attached to a tan house. The horizontal board has one corner roughly sawn away, to make it fit more closely against the face of the vertical board. There are a few stray screw holes in the horizontal that suggest a prior failed attempt.
I love beautiful woodwork. This is very not an example.
Because the angle looks like this, and my first thought was to add a wedge to fill the space between the horizontal and the vertical and screw through all three pieces. You might already know this, but doing that while two-thirds of the pieces are just hovering in the air, using a drill that doesn't like driving screws, has extremely low odds for success.

Obviously, I went a different route, gently chiseling away the intersecting corner of the horizontal until it fit more closely against the vertical, and then drilling some really weird pilot holes. While unbeautiful, it worked, and I knew the fence boards would hide my clumsy jointing anyway.

Laundry flapping on a line, framed by two tall posts with very short sections of wooden fence on either side, connected to the corner of a chainlink fence on one side and a tan house with white trim on the other.
It's the Laundry Portal, what can I say?
I picked up a fence panel from a pile of giveaway wood elsewhere in town, with enough assistance from another dude doing the same thing that I honestly should've paid him (he was smart and brought a saw in case the wood didn't fit in his car. I...didn't). Ripping the boards off their anchors wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it wasn't horrid, especially since that had been a 6-foot fence, and I only needed about 3.5 feet to match the height of the chain link fence. I had almost enough panels from that fence, but came up slightly short on the garage side—evenly spacing the fence panels would've left me with something like a 4-inch gap. While not likely to be a problem from a pet-escape perspective, that definitely would've become a rabbit highway, and I didn't want to end up with a dog headlocked in the fence from trying to rocket through after one.

I ended up stealing a board just the right size from one of the many pallets I've been gifted by a friend who works with a lot of warehouses. It's not meant for outdoor fencing, but it'll probably last as long as the much-used recycled fence boards will.

While I was trimming fence boards and installing them, I was also finishing up the paint work on the gate, having sanded it to scuff the original, flat indoor paint.

A white picket gate with decorative black hinges, hung between two tall posts with small sections of wooden fence on either side, connected to a tan house with white trim on one side and the corner of a chainlink fence on the other. A small can of white paint sits on the ground just in front of the left post, and if you squint, you can see the paintbrush propped between two pickets of the gate.
And no crushed fingers to show for it.
Hinges swapped, to make the pickets on the gate match the pickets on the fence while retaining the swing direction I prefer. I know it looks like the gate is hung completely crookedly, and I'm blaming it partly on perspective...and partly on the ground not being level. It's fine. It swings well and looks grand from every other angle...

A white picket gate with decorative black hinges, hung between two tall posts with short sections of wooden fence on either side, connecting to a tan house with white trim on one side and the corner of a chainlink fence on the other. The wooden fence is translucently white, while the gate is glossy and opaque.
I was slightly tempted to leave it this way. It almost looks whitewashed.
Primer on! I did this very late in the day, and my hands were horrible frozen claws by the time I was done. I also realized I probably should have primed and painted each layer of fence as I went, rather than constructing the whole thing and being unable to reach the bits of the posts and planks that overlapped each other. I managed to slap enough paint on to cover most of the exposed wood, although I was scraping the rim of the (salvaged-from-the-discount-rack) can by the time I'd finished.

A white picket gate hanging between white-painted posts with short sections of fence on either side, strongly backlit by a sunny yard with a huge length of orange-gold fabric hanging on the clothesline.
Sorry for the backlighting.
The actual paint went on beautifully, and I believe I painted slightly less of myself that round. I know the posts look a bit silly now, but they'll be lovely when I get the second set installed and add the framework for the climbing rose I've planted in the corner to scramble over.

Comments