Fast Fashion

Kind of. Fast for me, anyway. (And yet probably not fast enough. Send help.)

A close-up of screaming magenta fabric with pins and a very slightly contrasting dotted orange line.
Can you see the marks? The fabric is precisely this blinding in person.
Before I went to Ireland last year, I'd meant to turn some deconstructed shirts into camisoles to wear under my thinner shirts. That didn't happen then, and hasn't happened since, and now before this next trip I'm hoping to make it happen super fast.

This would be easier if I had a better way to mark seam lines than nearly-matching felt-tip pen (above).

A tracing paper shirt pattern laid on a piece of screaming magenta fabric. The fabric sticks out on two sides, but a shallow corner of tracing paper extends past the fabric at the bottom.
So close.
And if my pieces actually fit on the fabric. I have plenty to piece in, but it's a number of extra steps, and I haven't made the closet full of sheer or eyelet or otherwise lacey blouses I'd meant to by now.

A tracing paper shirt pattern laid out on screaming magenta fabric, which sticks out at top and bottom, but the tracing paper extends past the fabric at two corners.
Less close.
And really, this is just not ideal. I still have the pieces cut, and I may yet come back to this project before I leave, but I'm not going to stress about it. I have plenty of other projects in mind.

Like a saree petticoat. To wear a saree, you need a petticoat (or at very minimum, a belt) to tuck it into. I looked at buying a petticoat, but they were fairly expensive for what I know they are, and I wanted a pocket.

No, pockets are not traditional. I have no remorse.

Two irregular trapezoids of creased muslin, laid out on a bright orange/yellow/blue floral rug, with a frosted donut dog toy nearby.
No of course I didn't iron it. Stop looking so shocked.
I used some muslin, since I have a bunch of it and ideally the petticoat is only seen by the people who help you dress, and they don't care. Besides, it's lightweight, sturdy cotton, which is exactly what I would've bought had I gotten new fabric for the project. I flared the pieces a little bit, for better range of movement (I take big steps) without too much excess bulk at the waist. I already have to tuck about eight inches of the width of a saree into the waistband, I don't need a gathered petticoat in addition.

A close-up of a needle with white thread inserted into a seam in white muslin. It's a pretty boring photo, really.
Lots of backstitching in the drawstring casing.
I seamed up the sides and flat-felled them, and then double folded the drawstring casing at the top and mostly backstitched it in place.

A white hand holding up a rose-gold-looking safety that's about as long as the index finger, with a length of white and gold herringbone tape threaded onto it.
This isn't even the biggest safety pin I have.
I was a little worried that this safety pin (and drawstring tape) wouldn't fit the channel I'd made, but I figured it was worth a try.

A length of white muslin scrunched tightly onto a rose-gold-colored safety pin, with the head of the pin just emerging from one end and a length of white and gold herringbone tape at the other.
Oh good, it fits.
And it was! There were a few tight moments, but not having to wrestle a much smaller safety pin through the innards of a casing was lovely, and it took me about three minutes to fully lace the drawstring.

A tremendously dep hem pinned up in white muslin, with a few telltale wrinkles.
Yup, still wrinkly.
And then I discovered that the hem was miles too long on me, somehow, despite being pretty sure I'd measured. Although then again...maybe I didn't? I don't remember, it's all one muslin-colored blur. I flipped up a truly outrageous amount of fabric (the hem is like nine inches deep), because I didn't want to cut it and have to hem properly instead of taking advantage of the selvedge at the bottom and just tacking it up.

But wait! Where's the all-important Pocket?!

It's there. I apparently didn't photograph it at all, because it is a fairly standard kidney bean pocket, aside from having been inserted inside-out somehow, which I decided to just live with, because time, and energy, and have I mentioned this is functionally a completely invisible undergarment I will only really wear while also wearing a saree? It's not a daily occurrence.

Also, I have some other sewing to be doing. Quickly.

Comments