Presenting the Junebug Dress

I finished my junebug dress just in time, and it. was. perfect.

Two young women in evening dresses, leaning their foreheads together and grinning hard, in a light-filled ballroom.

Kinda like Valerie is.

Two young women in evening dresses, leaning their cheeks against each other and laughing, in a light-filled ballroom.

I'd like to tell you all about her, but every time I try to put it in words I choke up, so I'm going to let the photos speak for me.

A young redheaded woman with her hair braided up and flowers stuck in it, standing in a living room cluttered with furniture and sewing materials, and looking out the open window. She's wearing a green dress with a loose, sleeveless top and a pleated knee-length skirt.
Nothing like final fittings ten minutes after you should've left to fetch the dog.
Also gonna flip back to talking about sewing, which still definitely makes me cry sometimes, but is less prone to doing things like showing up with surprise flowers, or cooking breakfast at Damn It's Still Dark o'clock, or keeping me company while I weed the garden. I finished the essential sewing about half an hour after I'd meant to leave to pick up the puppy for our little excursion, but just had to steal a little more time to do a test run and snap a few photos. I have a small crinoline under the skirt, and the organza facing kept the hem laying nicely.

A young redheaded woman with her hair braided up and flowers stuck in it, standing with her back to the camera in a living room cluttered with furniture and sewing materials. She's wearing a green dress with a loose, sleeveless top and a pleated knee-length skirt.
I can't even be snarky, I'm so pleased with this dress.
The modified armscyes were also just right for the ease and range of motion I'd wanted, and I'm very glad I didn't cut the back neckline any lower or wider—it slopes outward quite a bit, which lets the lining show a bit at the backs of the armscyes, but I wasn't about to stitch last-minute darts into the shoulder straps. Besides, I love the way the fabric falls and catches the light. Some other fabric can become the fiercely fitted party dress I'd imagined when I started this one.

The skirt does up with a slightly offset tab and two buttons, with some cleverness in the pleating to conceal the small slits that let me get into it—I thought about a longer placket, but lacked time and thought a placket would stiffen the pleats in back too much.

Two young women in evening dresses, smiling through a kiss, in a light-filled ballroom.

Joy. Joy. Joy.

Comments