September 2017 Project Review

It is that time where I check in with progress on goals and make new goals and generally prove how tenuous my grasp on how much work I can accomplish in a month is. Therefore:

The August List 

• Embroidered trim for green and peach silk bliaut
• Underbodice pattern for green and peach silk bliaut
• Construct green and peach silk bliaut
• Weave half waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Dye green linen for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat and salwar)
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Stamp orange silk for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat)
• Resist stamp and dye blue silk for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• K's green and yellow striped silk salwar
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (salwar, short sleeved coat, long sleeved coat)
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
Reshape and pad helm

August goals: Finish the embroidered trim (including the collar), finish the underbodice pattern, construct the sleeves and bodice, and attach the skirt. Set up and weave half the waistband. Pattern K's Persian garb and dye his fabrics.

Well, I did get to cross some things off the list. And other things are partially done, but not enough for the whole item to get crossed off.

The embroidered trim I am counting done. Mostly because all but the collar is finished, and I have high hopes of completing the collar by next Tuesday, and that's close enough for me. Also, crossing things off lists is satisfying.

Finished the underbodice pattern! Not only that, but I stitched all the eyelets and finished all but the shoulder seams; I still need to mount the dress fabric onto the lining before I do those up, and finish the side edges of the dress fabric. Those things done, I'll be able to attach the sleeves and get started gathering the skirt and figuring out the placement of the side seam and how much I need to leave ungathered at the side openings.

I just started weaving the waistband...uh...yesterday. So that's not exactly on schedule, and I'm already working on contingency plans in case I don't end up having enough time to finish and attach it. I'm really invested in wearing this dress now, and I think I've overengineered the skirt attachment enough that it'll survive one wearing without that extra layer of reinforcement. Of course, as I mentioned to a friend, I am documentably insane when it comes to sewing projects, so I might just retreat into hermitdom until I've finished weaving (on time, obviously. Otherwise what's the point of the hermitdom?).

A dull steel helm with heavy bands and rivets, and a face grill under construction, with the bar across the bridge of the nose cut and bent outward. The helm has heavy brass eyebrows, and is sitting on a cluttered armourers' workbench.
Out of frame there's a grandfatherly figure pinching his fingers together in that "got your nose!" gesture.
And! We chopped up and drilled holes in and dropped logs on (literally) my helm, to reshape it into a better fit for me. It started out with the nasal mere millimeters from the end of my nose, and no chin strap will save a nose that close to danger. We also cut away about two inches of excess material at the back, drilled holes to lighten and ventilate (those will be covered by a leather drape later), and talked about chin strap placement and adding another hidden bar to protect my neck better, in case I catch a blow with my head tipped back.

The September List

• Construct green and peach silk bliaut
• Weave waistband for green and peach silk bliaut and attach
• Dye green linen for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat and salwar)
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Stamp orange silk for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat)
• Resist stamp and dye blue silk for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• K's green and yellow striped silk salwar
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (salwar, short sleeved coat, long sleeved coat)
• Construct K's Persian garb
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
Reshape and pad helm

After I finish my bliaut, I need to jump straight into making K's garb, which he'd like to wear to the outdoor cooking workshop at the end of the month. Totally doable. But then I'm taking a break to work on things s l o w l y.
Previous post ~ Next post

Comments