Drafting Hosen

A lonely tall sock pattern laid flat on a wood floor with a large pair of silver sewing shears under the foot.
Lumpy, but reasonably leg-shaped.
Decided to go ahead and see if I can make hose in time for Kingdom A&S…if nothing else, they’ll be handwork I can do while I’m there.

A shot of the photographer's leg, encased in sprigged cream fabric to make a very tall sock, standing on a denim rug on a wood floor.
You can't see the pins I'm very carefully standing on right now.
Drafting a hose pattern is one of those things that you should probably phone a friend for because exsanguination from stabbing yourself with pins is a thing trying to pin a seam along the center back of your leg requires impressive contortions.

Large, amoeboid shapes cut from sprigged cream fabric and with sharpie lines following the outer edges, laid flat on a wood floor.
Note potato-shaped foot pattern, top left piece.
I survived the draping process, and discovered that somehow my foot patterns don’t match at all, while the legs are almost identical. I went with the better-fitting foot pattern and just discarded the one clearly draped on a potato at the end of a long day.

A large rectangle of paper with a long squiggly pacman outline on it and a pair of red-handled scissors on top, laid out on a wood floor.
The corrected and smoothed paper pattern.
So now I just need to finish stitching the lucet braid to my gown so I can lace it (important), sew up the hose (also important), and…erm…write the documentation because I’m a procrastinating mess.

Comments