Spring Is Not Springing Fast Enough

I've been planning to turn my collection of leftover fake flowers (from my delightful garden hat) into hairpins for close to a year now...so I'm right on track for my usual schedule.

A cluster of ruffly peach fake flowers and pale-pink fake roses on a teal background.
The urge to take #aesthetic photos is never far away.
The flowers I picked also contrast very nicely with my sheets.

A scatter of plain silver barrette blanks, brown bobby pins on a card, small silver scissors in a black leather case, a blue spool of tan thread, and ruffly peach and pale-pink fake flowers on a teal sheet.
No, I don't use my bed only for sleeping. Sorry, sleep doctors.
Originally, I'd planned to make a few barrettes, and I may still do that, but I wanted to wear these flowers with a crown braid. Barrettes might work, or they might pull and rough up the braid, so I experimented with just stabbing the head of a bobby pin into the short stem of the flower.

A ruffly peach fake flower, upside down, with hands forcing the head of a bobby pin into the short stem.
This was less graceful than I'd hoped.
It actually worked pretty well! I did split the stem of one of the roses—their stems were shorter, smaller diameter, and stiffer than the peachy anemone-ish flowers—but the pin seemed pretty well seated in the split stem, so I left it.

A hand holding a small, pale-pink rosebud upside down, with a bobby pin in the stem and a length of doubled tan thread stitched through the stem and knotted.
Magical flower transformation! aka Sabine forgot this was going to be step by step.
For good measure, I decided to stitch the flowers to their pins, which entailed forcing a sturdy needle through the stem (narrowly missing the legs of the bobby pin) and tying a knot with the thread tails.

Yes, I thought about being clever and completely hiding the tails, but really, there's just not a need to do that. The flowers are meant to be buried in my hair up to the sepals. No one can see the little thread ends.

A hand holding a small, pale-pink rosebud upside down, with a bobby pin in the stem and a needle threaded with tan thread running through the stem crosswise.
Pliers probably would have been wise here.
I also stabbed the crap out of my thumb on one of these. Plastic flowers are stronger than they look.

A hand holding a small, pale-pink rosebud, with a bobby pin in the stem and needle with doubled tan thread inserted under a few wraps of thread on the stem.
Is this overkill? I mean, yeah, but also I can be confident I won't lose my pretty hair flowers.
Oh, apparently I hadn't stabbed it yet on this one. Tied the thread in another knot after winding it around and through the bobby pin and passing the needle through the stem a few times, and that's it! They may loosen up over time, but I think if I'm careful with them I should have flower pins for quite a while.

A small sea of ruffly peach and pale-pink fake flowers on bobby pin stems, each propped in a small clear glass bubble on a wooden table, with a lotus-flower burgundy capiz shell candle holder in the foreground and a variety of jars full of beads and a tiny grey-teal teapot in the background.
Potentially a better use than putting candles in those little glasses.
They're also incredibly ethereal when I stick them in my vast collection of glass tealight holders.

Comments