June 2018 Projects

A photo of the sky, with dark backlit tree silhouettes in a narrow strip at the bottom. Above the trees is a pale blue, overlaid with sheer pink clouds, and then a dense twist of bright gold and cream, fading into pink cotton candy fluff and again to clear blue-violet.
I've gotten to see a lot of stellar sunrises since I've started running in the mornings.
Well, as usual, my dreams are bigger than my allotment of free time...

The May List

• K's Christmas present
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Finish the first batch of fat quarters for the honeycomb quilt
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Make red wool winter skirt
• Make Regency sundress
• Add pockets to blue summer skirt
• Add pockets to pink summer skirt
• Make big silly garden hat
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag

Absolutely nothing to cross off. But I did get the Regency sundress much closer to finished, and I'm now eight fat quarters away from having hexagoned the first batch of fabric.

I also helped with the annual clean-up and touch-up of the Viking ship my shire takes care of, which was lovely, and involved a lot of scooting around balanced on the rails, which get very steep at stern and prow.

And I ran an official 5k! It was very scary, and sunny, and I am deeply averse to "new things" and "strangers" and especially "new things in company with strangers," but I did it. There was walking, and jogging, and actual running, and I seriously struggled to feel accomplished on the day. I think it was worth the stress, though. There'll be another this month, which I hope to run a little faster in. And to be a little less anxious about.

An extremely close photo of the tilted upper surface of the rail on a clinker-built ship. The wood is fine-grained and black-touched grey, with pale streaks on the edges where the wood has been worn. A round-headed copper rivet is just visible, nearly flush to the wood, and the rest of the ship curves away into the background, all in the dappled shade of tall trees.
I love this boat, and I've never even seen her in the water.

The June List

• Finish the first batch of fat quarters for the honeycomb quilt
• Pack everything to go to the new house
• Pack and store everything not going to the new house
• Make garden apron
• Make Regency sundress
• Add pockets to blue summer skirt
• Add pockets to pink summer skirt
• Make big silly garden hat
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag

Trading some things for seasonality—I still want to make a red wool skirt, but don't much feel like having even the loveliest squashy wool melton on my lap in summer. Besides, the canvas and cotton for a garden apron were impulse purchases, and I'd really like to turn them into something usable in the same season. Ditto the sundress, which is rapidly approaching the one-year mark since I bought the fabrics, and adding pockets to my other skirts, which is becoming more of a necessity since I've gotten used to having pockets in everything, and am now in danger of slipping my phone into a nonexistent one and being surprised when it hits the floor.

The garden hat, with luck, will happen this weekend. As will the groundwork for a semi-secret project, which I'm going to have to figure out how to blog about, because I won't be able to resist sharing at least little bits of it.

Comments