October 2017 Projects

Hokey doke, maybe this will be the month I make vast and overwhelming progress on Things.

The September List

• Construct green and peach silk bliaut
• Weave waistband for green and peach silk bliaut and attach
• Dye green linen for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat and salwar)
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Stamp orange silk for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat)
• Resist stamp and dye blue silk for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• K's green and yellow striped silk salwar
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (salwar, short sleeved coat, long sleeved coat)
• Construct K's Persian garb
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
Reshape and pad helm

Last month definitely wasn't it, although finishing the green and peach silk bliaut was a huge accomplishment, and I continue to be delighted with everything about it.

K's mockups are in fact finished, although I haven't written about them yet, which means this is the month to dye and stamp the fabrics for the final versions. Both of us had things come up that prevented us attending the cooking workshop I'd been using as a tentative deadline for his new garb, so I didn't push myself too hard on that.

And the helm is completely reshaped and put back together! All it needs now is a leather drape in the back to make it pretty, and internal padding to insulate my noggin.

The October List

• Dye green linen for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat and salwar)
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Stamp orange silk for K's Persian garb (long sleeved coat)
• Resist stamp and dye blue silk for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• K's green and yellow striped silk salwar
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Construct K's Persian garb
• Prep and write two signatures of The Riddle-Master of Hed
• Process the Giant Cow Femur for book covers
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Pad helm
• Weave waistband for green and peach silk bliaut 

I know, K's garb has been on the list for like...six months. This month I'm really doing it! For realsies. Truly. (I'm glad you love me, dear.)

Two signatures of The Riddle-Master (which I'm predicting will be three or four sheets, so six or eight pages of writing), is an extremely low goal, but I'm also planning on about two weeks of fairly intensive calligraphy practice this month before I start writing The Real Thing, and I'll be measuring, cutting, and laying out pages, too. Not to mention working out exactly how much space I'm leaving for historiated/foliated initials. The eventual writing goal will be three to five calligraphed pages (about one printed page) a day. That'll leave me more time at the end of the writing for illuminations, fancy initials, and carving the covers and binding the behemoth. Not to mention writing the documentation and curating the process photos to include for entering the tome in competition next year.

And finally, I'd like to participate in Inktober again this year. Since I'm prone to losing the prompts I'm linking the two lists I'm most likely to use: the official list, and the variants I think would be fun to pair up. I'll probably do as I did last year, and post my favorites (with their prompts) at the end of the month.

Comments