No Bruises!

I don't talk about practice every week, because most weeks I'd say pretty much the same thing: it was hot, I was sweaty, I have a wicked bruise on my upper left arm because I can't seem to frickin get it through my head to block that spot.

This week, I don't have a bruise there. In fact, I don't have bruises anywhere.

Two people in medieval armor and clothing, facing each other in a green, sunlit park. The person on the left is holding a greatsword and wearing a long, brown leather armor coat over a longer red coat and very full blue pants. The person on the right is in a long white tunic and black pants, and is moving toward the person in red with their spear levelled. A man in a red polo and jeans is just visible behind the person in white.
I love my floofy pants.
I really need to stop forgetting that my greatsword has a thrusting tip. It could be useful.

Two people in medieval armor and clothing, facing each other in a green, sunlit park. The person on the left is holding a greatsword, wearing a long, brown leather armor coat over a longer red coat and very full blue pants, moving forward into their opponent's spear. The person on the right is in a long white tunic and black pants, and is half-crouched, with spear low to impale the person in red. A man in a red polo and jeans is just visible behind the person in red.
Not actually consecutive. Note the teleporting marshal in the background.
Like for avoiding situations like this. At least I look good while being impaled, right?

Two people in a sunny, grassy park, with trees in the background. The one with their back to the camera in in black t-shirt and pants, and using a greatsword to attack the one facing the camera, who's in full medieval armor, with a long red coat and very full blue pants, parrying with a greatsword.
Time travel again!
One of my favorite elements of practices is working as a 'sentient pell' with fighters who are too young to be in armour yet. It's a great warm-up, for one thing, but over the last several months it's also proven an effective way to train better defensive reflexes into my muscles. Watching the younger fighters improve (and turn into formidable opponents) is guaranteed to improve my mood, too...which is usually a bit frayed to begin with.

This last practice had more people trying longer weapons, too, which was a fun change for us—we often have a lot of sword and shield, mace, and Florentine.

Two people in medieval armour in a grassy, sunny park with large trees. The taller person, in a green tunic, is swinging a polearm horizontally above shoulder height, where it's blocked by the shorter, red-coated person's greatsword.
No.
Two people in medieval armour in a grassy, sunny park with large trees. The taller person, in a green tunic, is swinging a polearm high to bring it down, where it's blocked by the shorter, red-coated person's greatsword.
Nyet.
Two people in medieval armour in a grassy, sunny park with large trees. The taller person, in a green tunic, is levelling a polearm at the shorter, red-coated person, who is swinging a greatsword up and taking a step sidways.
Go away.
Obviously Crispin and I had plenty of fun trying to kill each other. I think we came out even, in the end.

Many thanks to Robyn for the photos!

Comments