Wildly Out of Season

I'd had a placeholder here in hopes that I'd finish this project quickly and get to post it with a finished photo at the top...but it's been 84 years since I posted last, so here's a little tidbit of what I've been up to recently.

A close-up of the trimmed edge of a piece of deep-blue wool fabric, with narrow, frayed strips of bright red and coral silk stitched to the edge.
Pay no attention to the amount of fabric waste happening here.
The silk edge binding wasn't hard, just slow, fiddly work. I trimmed away the excess wool about a foot at a time, so it wouldn't have a chance to ravel before I bound it, and then tucked and nudged the silk into place.

A close-up of a bright magenta silk bit of pipin gon deep-blue wool, held up by a white hand.
Not too shabby.
The original plan had been to use a hemstitch or some other invisible technique to hold the silk edge down, but circumstances* intervened. I used a small running stitch.

*Circumstances include but are not limited to: I am lazy; silk is a wriggly bastard; who's even gonna notice?; other reasons that boil down to it's my project and I'll sew how I want to.

A photo of the edge of a piece of deep-blue wool, showing the multicolored silk piping binding the edge.
C O L O R S
And dang does it ever look good. I can't wait to finish the rest of the pieces and get this thing constructed.

Comments

  1. Seriously lovely, Caitlin. And no one will notice the stitching, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm learning to love the imperfections in my work as much as I love them in anyone else's.

      Delete

Post a Comment