March 2019 Projects

The February List

• Paint brown wall teal
• Paint bedroom ceiling
• Unstack cement block retaining wall
• Hexify 6 fat quarters
• Fit and construct cut and thrust helm
• Sew seashell skirt
• Quilt cut and thrust coat
• Paint living room end wall
• Collect and break up 5 pallets (3 of 5)
• Start cotton for Mum
• Draw up to-scale floorplan and walls of Rose Cottage

Ehh. Well. Things take longer than you think they will, and being sick for the better part of a week eats a lot of time, and I just...do not ever have as much free time as I imagine. It also decided to be actual winter this month, so outdoor projects are more or less on hold until it warms up past 16 degrees.

I do have ambitions of having a functional cut and thrust helm by the end of next week, and of testing a fabric sandwich to make a hood I can disguise as a more Persian style of headgear. The pieces for my cut and thrust coat are cut, and waiting for me to stamp and dye the outermost layer before I can begin construction—because I can't stand to make something as simply as possible.

A small spiral-boud notebook with a sketch of a long-sleeved, long-skirted tunic and notes about construction, with rough pattern piece sketches and dimensions for buttons to be made from scrap fabrics, surround by bright magenta, turquoise, and red-to-pink silks, silver sewing shears and their black plastic case, and a black ballpoint pen.
Pictured: a simple project.

The March List

• Paint brown wall teal
• Paint bedroom ceiling
• Cut stencil for teal wall
• Make longbow
• Make arrows
• Hexify 6 fat quarters
• Piece half-hexies
• Start Brussels sprouts
• Pull nails from broken-up pallets
• Sand pallets
• Paint living room end wall
• Fit and construct cut and thrust helm
• Finish the tunikurti
• Resist stamp outer cut and thrust coat layer
• Sew cut and thrust hood

I really am going to get the wall painting done. Really. There's a deadline and everything. The ceiling painting...we'll see. I do have a clear direction I want to take it, I just need to experiment with how to get it there.

I do want to get the pallet wood finished up soon, too; I'd like to install storage for canned foods in the dead space behind the back door, which would clear room on my pantry shelves for bulk items and less easily contained things.

I also need to set up seed starting somewhere, which may entail trawling Craigslist some more for a horizontal surface I can set up near a window and an outlet.

And of course, the ongoing hexies, and knitting and spinning projects will continue in the background, and hopefully I'll get quite a bit of sewing done. Including the "simple" project in the photo, which really did start out very simple and got...complicated.

Comments