October 2019 Projects

The September List

• Replace back door
• Pipe two pieces of the tunikurti
• Set up rain barrels at back house corners
• Construct garden gate
• Sew octopus skirt
• Install kitchen faucet
• Hexify six fat quarters
• Wash wool (more)
• Build kitchen counter
• Ply black alpaca
• Spin one single cactus fiber
• Set bricks for clothesline patio

NAILED IT, I get to celebrate this, there are multiple items crossed off, plus a number of non-list items. Also, the bricks don't count, because suddenly all the bricks for sale in the area have up and vanished, and I'd rather have them all available before I start digging. I also got four fat quarter hexified, so I get to cross off about two-thirds of that item.

A tabby cat curled up between two people on a couch, with three stacks of yellow apple-patterned fabric hexagons on its back.
Had the doorbell not rung, she might be there still, covered in hexagons.
I made many stacks of hexagons, and I'm getting close to the end of my fabric, with only a few more pairs of fat quarters with the same pattern on them, and then a stack of singles.

A pair of metal clothesline poles in a grassy yard, with about half the distance between them covered by a wide herringbone brick path. the edges and center of the path are bricks with three holes in them, and the rest are solid.
Yes, I know about the weeding.
I found almost enough bricks to make a lovely little patio. Almost. I need about 200 more solid bricks, and then I can dig a good bed for them and get them settled in.

A small fire in a circle of landscape bricks, with a large wash of blue flame in the middle of the searing white-orange blaze.
Magic fire!
We built a fire for Labor Day, cooked brats and skewered veggies, and played with Valerie's magic fire powder. Blue fire is just too fun not to have sometimes.

A small lemon tree, with its root ball perfectly echoing the shape of the tall terracotta pot next to it, standing on a low retaining wall in front of a tan house.
Sorry tree.
I finally repotted my lemon tree, which involved pulling it out of its pot, trimming the top of sorely insect-damaged limbs, rinsing most of the played-out soil off its roots, and unceremoniously chopping about a third of the root mass off. It's responded by shooting out massively in all directions, so I guess that was a success. Someday I hope I get a lemon or two from it.

A large glass jug of brown-gold honey water with foam on top, sealed at the neck with a plastic bag rubber banded on, in front of an unframed Mucha print of a brunette woman with poppies in her hair, lounging on a scythe.
It seemed appropriate. You can't see my hand under the carboy, desperately balancing a gallon of sloshy honey water.
I started my first batch of mead! Do I know what I'm doing? No. Am I doing it anyway? Yes.

That's how I do things.

A blurry shot of a woman in a long pink and purple wig and black corset, performing in a dark room with bright pink, purple, and green lighting. She's framed by the heads of several people sitting between her and the photographer.
My phone is The Worst at dark places with bright lights.
Valerie performed at the local open drag night, and was stunning as usual.

A plywood counter painted white with dark blue-purple folk florals and birds. The light from the window pours over the middle of the counter, leaving the ends in shadow.
Now I need bar stools.
I finally made a stand-in counter for the part of my kitchen that should absolutely have a counter and doesn't. It's just a sheet of painted plywood, supported on three sides by boards screwed into the walls and cabinets, but I'm delighted with how the design came out and very happy to have a workspace that doesn't nearly block the garage door.

Two smiling young women with their arms wrapped around each other, one in a wedding dress with long, loose, dark hair, and one in a dark navy dress with braided up red hair.
Did you know that when you attend a wedding it is very hard to get photos of yourself?
I also attended the wedding of one of my oldest friends, which was lovely and busy and emotional.

A young bride laughing uproariously and almost swallowed by her fluffy skirt, surrounded by bridesmaids in a variety of navy dresses touching her shoulder and laughing with her.
Sorry, this was too great not to share.
It was good that there were a lot of us bridesmaids, because there was an awful lot of dress to wrangle.

A selfie of a young white woman with braided up red hair, smiling at the camera. She's wearing a boat-necked navy dress, long earrings, a floral necklace, and light makeup, and there's a white ribbon wrapped around her up-curled right hand.
#millennial
Naturally I took a selfie to show off how nicely I clean up, and to document that I know one (1) way to dress nicely for events: crown braid, often with pretty hairpins, bridesmaid necklace from my actual oldest friend's wedding, and these $7 earrings from World Market. Plus the maximum makeup I ever willingly apply.

The October List

• Replace back door
• Pipe two pieces of the tunikurti
• Construct garden gate
• Install kitchen faucet
• Hexify six fat quarters
• Set bricks for clothesline patio
Find bricks for clothesline patio
• Inktober!
• Run 10k
• Finish cactus yarn
• Organize studio
• Wash even more wool

Okay, so I have about 20 fat quarters left, and three months until the end of the year, so I need to go for slightly more than six hexified per month. But I also have a pile of other projects, and it's an arbitrary deadline, and...I do really want them done. We'll see what happens with that.

I'm also getting a little antsy for some house projects to be finished, what with the turning of the year and all. Hopefully I'll find time for those amid all the crafting and gardening and cooking to do.

Comments