May 2018 Projects


A selfie of a white, red-headed woman wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat and holding a large bouquet of yellow, pink, peach, and blue-purple fake flowers. Only her eyes and nose are visible through the flowers.
I know I should've taken this outside, but there aren't many places to prop a camera outside.

The April List

• K's Christmas present
• Dye yellow linen for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Prep four fat quarters' worth of hexagons for the honeycomb quilt
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Wax plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Make red wool winter skirt
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag

I may only have crossed off one item on the list, but I nailed the hexagon thing. Not only did I prep five prints' worth (that's ten fat quarters) of hexagons, I ordered swatches for the backing fabric, did loads of math, and kept up with washing and ironing fat quarters so that wouldn't become the snag that killed my momentum. And I still love making hexagons.

I also made a whole dang blanket. And three pincushions. And I planted about half a garden at each of two friends' houses, and "helped" install honeybees (okay, so I watched and asked questions and very carefully didn't swat the bee that landed on my forehead, but still). And attended a friend's gallery show opening. And discovered the ginger rhizome I bought from the farmers market last year, which then attempted to sprout while sitting on my spice rack and appeared to have died after I put it in dirt...may be alive.

A snapchat selfie of a white, red-headed woman facing an upper kitchen cabinet. The image has been drawn on in neon colors, showing a green seedling surrounded by yellow and hot pink scribbles on the cabinet door. White scribbles mostly cover the woman's hair, and an orange stick with a green gourd and blue feathers tied to the upper end leans against her shoulder. The caption reads "Me right now."A snapchat closeup of potting soil in a rectangular pot, with a rounded nubbin of something green just poking through the surface. Plastic wrap shows at either edge of the photo. The caption reads, "My ginger plant might be alive?!?"

It was exciting, okay? And it's done absolutely nothing to encourage me to be a tidier person, because the only reason this discovery could even be made is that I kept the pot of dirt and presumed-dead ginger all winter.

The May List

• K's Christmas present
• Patterns for K's Persian garb (short sleeved coat)
• Finish the first batch of fat quarters for the honeycomb quilt
• Cut and punch red plates for lamellar coat
• Weave 6 inches of waistband for green and peach silk bliaut
• Make red wool winter skirt
• Make Regency sundress
• Add pockets to blue summer skirt
• Add pockets to pink summer skirt
• Make big silly garden hat
• Finish and submit "Plates" to a lit mag
• Submit "The Carpet" to a lit mag
 
There's also going to be plenty of gardening, and a bit more packing (at last, I think it might be safe to pack up the winter clothes—and it's time, again, to remove the things I haven't worn even once in their season). And I'm still hoping to dig up the motivation to work on some of the older projects, but newer things have been calling my name. Eventually I'll swing back around to them.

Comments